Home | Ladies Mile in the Spotlight | History | Broadway | The Flatiron Building | The Great Stores of Sixth Ave | Lower Fifth Avenue |

 

Lower Fifth Avenue

Arnold Constable expanded across 19th Street in 1877, and was the first of the large stores to have a Fifth Avenue address.


Arnold Constable annex, 115 Fifth Avenue.

Next door, at 111 Fifth Avenue, the Constable Building, was built for the Estate of Henrietta Constable in 1894 by the architect William Schickel.

It housed numberous architects' offices - those of Schickel himself, Henry Bacon (designer of the Lincoln Memorial), Hiss & Weekes (known for their Gotham Hotel), and Cass Gilbert, who apparently had left his offices here before designing the Woolworth Building.


11th Street and Broadway as it appears today.

 

Home | Ladies Mile in the Spotlight | History | Broadway | The Flatiron Building
The Great Stores of Sixth Ave
| Lower Fifth Avenue |